This Rain City Advice Hour: Body as Canvas featured Liz Cruz (Lily Devine) and McKenzie Porritt (Mknz) and was Performed April 6th, 2014 at Studio Current (Seattle, WA.)
This flow represents two of the main activities I facilitated during the Rain City Advice Hour: Body as Canvas. The first was geared at exploring tattoo and the creative possibilities of permanent art. The second activity was an opportunity for audience members to explore strip and sensuality in performance.
First Activity: The Healing Spell
- Body Scan: The audience was invited to lie on the ground and let their awareness drift over their body, becoming aware of any discomfort or tensions.
- Visualization: Next participants were led through a guided visualization, first identifying a part of the body that wanted “their attention.” Then they were instructed to imagine their “creative safe space” where they can be totally free and safe from judgment. In this space, the audience was invited to see a magic pool and to dip the body part they identified previously into the water. When they pulled their body part out of the pool some water stuck to their skin in an image or set of words. This was their “healing spell.”
- Drawing: The audience was then given sharpies and invited to draw their healing spell on their bodies.
Second Activity: Stripping
- Dress Up: To begin with the audience was told that we would soon be exploring strip and sensuality. They were then invited to go through the costume bin I had brought and put on cloths in order to both enhance their strip costume and ensure they had enough clothing on to take some off without feel exposed or uncomfortable.
- Non-Verbal Strip Statues: For this activity the audience was asked to form an audience. Then two volunteers were invited to come up on stage. To start with the volunteers shook hands and then froze in that position. Then one volunteer broke off and took off an item of clothing in a sensual manner and then froze in a sexy statue. Then the other volunteer, drop the handshake statue and took off and item of clothing in a sensual manner and struck a sexy pose in some way responding to the firs volunteers statue. Then a third participant was invited up to repeat the process of strip and freeze in response to the second volunteers pose while the first volunteer sat down. This continued until everyone had a chance to get up on stage.